Het wereldwijde magazine en verkoopplatform voor liefhebbers van klassieke auto’s, door liefhebbers.
Het wereldwijde magazine en verkoopplatform voor liefhebbers van klassieke auto’s, door liefhebbers.
Terwijl de Londense burgemeester Sadiq Khan een dagelijkse "schone-luchtheffing" voor benzine- en dieselauto's in de hoofdstad voorstelt, kopte de Evening Standard onlangs "Londoners buying electric cars soars as capital shifts to becoming green city" (Londenaars kopen massaal elektrische auto's nu hoofdstad groene stad wordt).
Maar kijk hier eens naar; een foto die u wellicht nog niet eerder heeft gezien? Het oorspronkelijke bijschrift bij deze luidt: "Vrachtwagens worden bijgetankt in het goederendepot van St. Pancras, Londen, 11 juli 1917. Maar die woorden moeten niet te letterlijk worden genomen, want deze wagens worden duidelijk opgeladen in plaats van bijgetankt. Ja, dat zijn elektriciteitskabels en geen brandstofleidingen!
De informatie houdt daar niet op: "Deze vrachtwagens werden gebruikt om goederen te vervoeren rond goederendepots en om ze af te leveren bij kantoren in de steden. De Midland Railway bezat een verscheidenheid aan wegvoertuigen. In deze tijd werd paard en wagen nog veel gebruikt, maar motorvoertuigen kwamen steeds alledaags.”
Als je inzoomt zie je wat meer details over de vrachtwagens zelf. De linker vooraan heeft Edison Accumulators op zijn zijkant staan, samen met een aantal letters en cijfers, die wij niet echt begrijpen (u wel?). Op die rechts vooraan staat op de carrosserie geschreven: SPEED: 12 M.P.H. Maar is er meer bekend over deze voertuigen? Waren het Amerikaanse importen, of toch van Britse makelij? Leyland Motors misschien, dat indertijd 'benzine-elektrische treinwagons' aanbood?
Woorden Jeroen Booij. Afbeelding Science & Society Picture library.
The first Edison commercial van was displayed by his Storage Battery Company of Great Portland-street, London in 1912. Lord Montague of Beaulieu opened new showrooms in Duke-street, London in November 1913 when he enthused about the low running cost of its commercial vehicles, citing a quarter penny per ton-mile costs using electricity at half a penny per unit. Their batteries were Nickel-Iron (“NIFE”) cells; still low power density but lighter, very rugged, long-lasting and acid-free.
At St Pancras, Midland Railway was already using American Buckwalter Electric platform trucks with Edison accumulators in April 1914, so had charging plant in place by then. Edison heavily promoted the advantages of electric town vehicles during WWI when petrol was restricted by DORA, a time when some councils were forced to purchase electric vans to replace horses commandeered by the War Office. Midland Railway was one of the larger electric vehicle users (84 in 1917, 76 in 1919) with Harrods (47 in 1915, 76 in 1917), Lyons, Liberty, Co-op, Fuller Dye and many others in London operating hundreds of electrics from half to six tonners. Not all used Edison batteries.
One very large commercial vehicle commissioned in London to use Edison accumulators was a van built by Messrs. C. Adey and Son, van builders of Vine-court, Whitechapel, for the Johnny Walker whisky company, in September 1915. It was over 18-feet long/6-feet wide/7-feet high with the Johnny Walker figure emblazoned on the sides and it had 60 cells in a box under the driver’s seat, said to give it a surely exaggerated 70 miles range. Its chassis was described as “fitted with Edison’s latest electrical machinery”, so it could all have been imported.
Edison lorries usually fitted with a 60-cell battery advertised a 12 mph/30-40 mile range. In 1915, a £695, 30 cwt “Edison-built” lorry of Edinburgh council travelled 40 miles on a full charge with a maximum speed of 11mph on the flat but made barely 5mph on hills. By 1918, a standard 3.5-ton Edison lorry fitted with 60 A10 type cells, which alone weighed 2250lbs, was capable of going no more than 35 miles. By fitting 110 cells, range went up to 60 miles at the cost of reinforced battery pack weighing 4950 lbs.